20s all over Greystones

Under 20 Premiership Division 2 – Sunday 11th Nov 2018

Old Wesley 39  Greystones 12

Despite the very harsh weather conditions Old Wesley made an impressive away win against a well organised, competent Greystones team in Dr Hickey Park.  Right from the kick off Old Wesley took control in open play and within 5 minutes had the opening score through Andrew Vincent following repeated phases touching down in the corner.  With the conversion missed the score was 0-5 to the visitors.  Within 5 minutes of the opening score the visitors crossed over again after some fine controlled play and multiple phases.  Fullback Fionn O’Loughlin crossed the line to the left of the posts and with the conversion added by Capt Shane O’Hanrahan, 10 minutes gone 0-12 to the visitors.

With the kick off going straight out, the Wesley scrum allowed the pack to show their dominance and resulting in repeated penalties and a kick to the corner with the lineout to come. From the set piece and good forward control a try by the industrious centre Eoin Deegan was a just reward for the pressure from the pack. At 0-17 Old Wesley were in control of the game looking to get the bonus point wrapped up before half time. However, showing their worth Greystones put together some good play and after 5 minutes of sustained pressured, the home team got over for a well deserved try leaving the score 5-17 coming into the break.  Just before half time, Wesley reasserted their dominance and with the pack marshalling the close encounters, illustrious tight head prop, Sam Kenny, crashed over the line for the bonus point score on the stroke of half time, leaving Old Wesley 5-22 up at the interval

The second half got off to a flying start as the pack took up from where they left off and with the pace of Luke Sweeney on the wing and some fine hands across the team Wesley lead extended to 5-27.  With the weather deteriorating all the time it was not a day for the kickers.  Greystones then put together a good spell of play however a turnover resulted in a series of Wesley scrums on the 22 metre line with a fine try scored from the base of the scrum by the ever impressive Stephen Keane. Shortly afterwards, Old Wesley’s 2nd row Andrew Warner powered over the line for another well earned score and with Cameron Watson taking a fine conversion for the score to now read Old Wesley 39 to Greystones 5 points with 5 minutes left o play.

To their credit Greystones showing good spirit played to the end scored a converted try and the final score left the result 12-39 to Old Wesley. This result sees the u20 team climb to the top of the Prem 2 Division with a home game to come against St Marys on 25th November.

All hail the players, coaches and back room staff for a thoroughly deserved squad victory

Click here for photos by Deryck Vincent

Don’t miss your club newsletter!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.