20s claim 5 pointer against Terenure

Under 20 Premiership – Old Wesley 24 Terenure 17

On a cold crisp sunny afternoon, on the back pitch in Donnybrook, the Old Wesley u20s took revenge for an earlier in the season defeat away to Terenure with a Bonus point win to kick-start 2020 in fine fashion.

In near perfect conditions, Old Wesley played the better rugby for large periods of the game, all be it with a faltering set piece which did improve as the match went on. The game’s first score was for the home team following a deft chip and chase by outhalf Gary Hawe allowing him touch down on the left hand side of the pitch.  League debutant Leo Wolf kicked the conversion and the home team were 7-0 up after 10 minutes. Leo, who along with his brother Daniel, both in their 1st starts, had fine afternoons in their respective positions and were welcome additions to the squad.

Not dealing fully with the restart allowed Terenure to pile on the pressure for Old Wesley whom conceded a soft equalising score and it moved to 7-7 after 16 minutes.  Shortly afterwards Eoin Deegan forced his way over the line after some clever play between forwards and backs to get in on the left hand side. This time the conversion went wide and the score moved to 12-7.  Again from our own set piece a penalty at the scrum saw Nure advance to our own 22 and shortly before half time they were able to score close to the corner, and with a successful conversion regain the lead 12-14.

The ever attacking wing Jack Kennedy scored a great try just on the stroke of half time and Old Wesley retook the lead 17-14 with it all to play for in the second half.

The score remained as is for most of the second half with both teams making substitutions and playing some exciting attacking rugby as well as heroic defensive efforts. The game changer happened 10 minutes from time when a fantastic solo effort saw Leo Wolf gather the ball in his half and glide his way through the defence and score under the posts to take the game with the conversion to 24-14. Terenure were not finished and fought incredibly hard to come down to the Wesley line and camp there for the remainder of the game. Their reward was a penalty in front of the posts and the prospect of a losing bonus point for the visitors was not turned down. The final score was 24-17 and a terrific game of rugby for all those who attended.

Click here for photos by Deryck Vincent

Don’t miss your club newsletter!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.