20s claim memorable win over Barnhall

Under 20s Premiership 1 – Old Wesley 15 MU Barnhall 12

In near perfect conditions, following some heavy rain over the weekend, Old Wesley u20s were able to record their first win in Prem 1 in Parsonstown with a 15-12 away win over MU Barnhall. This win, along with the draw against Old Belvedere at the start of the league, now sees the u20s on 6 points and with some daylight between the bottom team and just below Old Belvedere who have 9 points.

The match was a tense affair with both sides making some enforced handling errors but possession and territory was dominated by the visitors while the home team had the better set piece in the scrum and lineout.

After 10 minutes the home team opened the scoring with a try from their forwards which was converted and led 7-0. Thereafter Old Wesley came close on a number of occasions through their strong backline, but failed to finish these opportunities. On the stroke of half time the visitors were awarded a penalty in front of the posts and William Seale seized the opportunity to score his first points for the club moving the score at the break to 7-3.

With a couple of changes in the pack at half time, Wesley played with more determination and began putting some good phased play together. This resulted in a try from the energetic Harry Shaw, playing at full back, 10 minutes into the 2nd half, and with a conversion from Seale from a difficult angle the visitors took the lead 10-7.  Shortly afterwards, following a series of penalties in the Barnhall 22, Andrew Warner, making his return from 6 months of injury, scored a well worked try to extend the Wesley lead to 15-7, with the conversion narrowly missing.

For the next 20 minutes both teams looked for the opportunity to further add to their scores, but with both side using their benches to great effect and some strong defence, the game moved toward full time with Barnhall advancing with lineouts and scrums deep in the Wesley 22.  With the second last play of the day Barnhall crossed over for a try in the corner to get a losing bonus point and the match finished MU Barnhall 12 – Old Wesley 15.

The final whistle sounded and for the first time this season the young Old Wesley u20s side got some reward for the efforts that have gone into this season thus far. Next up it’s Clontarf on the 1st December in Energia Park.

Click here for photos by Deryck Vincent

Don’t miss your club newsletter!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.