2nds lose out to Lansdowne in Metro League 1 final

2nds lose out to Lansdowne in Metro League 1 final

Metro League Division 1 final – Old Wesley 14 Lansdowne 17

For the second year in a row Old Wesley met Lansdowne in the Metro League Division 1 final.

Playing with the breeze in the first half Lansdowne had the better of the first 40 minutes. During the first 10 minutes both sides showed their enthusiasm and determination to play the match at a high level of intensity. Then after making a break from midfield Lansdowne found a gap in the centre, and with the defence short of numbers they crossed for the first try of the match. On the 20 minute mark Old Wesley eventually got a foothold in the opposition 22, however it came to nothing following a knock on. Lansdowne then had an opportunity to score with a penalty attempt but the kick went wide. 10 minutes later and just before half time they had another opportunity and this time were successful, leaving Wesley 10 nil down at half time.

Lansdowne started the second half with an early break into the Wesley 22, similar to the one that lead to the first try. This time however no try ensued due to a knock on. But now playing with the wind there was optimism in the Wesley camp. After 10 minutes Wesley had a line out on the opposition 22 but the ball did not go to hand. However shortly after from a scrum between the half line and the Lansdowne 22 the pack started to flex its muscles and after some good carries and a number of plays the ball swung out to the wing where Captain Stephen Boyle was able to force his way over for a try. And when Jack Maybury slotted the difficult conversion, all of a sudden there was a spring in the step of the Wesley players.

Old Wesley were dealt a blow when Shane Brennan received a yellow card for a dangerous tackle. But if anything this spurred on the Wesley players. As the clock approached full time the players showed great commitment and patients and after a number of carries were up to within a couple of metres of the goal line. The bombardment continued and Kieran McCue eventually powered over for a try near the posts. Maybury converted with ease for a 14-10 lead. But from the restart Lansdowne regained possession and when awarded a penalty kicked to touch about 7 metres out. After swinging the ball across and back a number of times they eventually crossed for a converted try. Now in the last play old Wesley had once last chance to claim the title but when a pass failed to go to hand it was game over.

So for the second year in a row Old Wesley lost out to Lansdowne in the final of this competition. However next week we have an opportunity to claim revenge when the sides meet again in the Metro Cup Final.

Click here for photos by Ken Richardson

Don’t miss your club newsletter!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.