Under 20s achieve Grand Slam in league

Under 20s achieve League Grand Slam with 100% record

Premiership 2 – Old Wesley 34 Buccaneers 7

Old Wesley 20s achieved a possible first ever for an Old Wesley team winning all 14 of their league matches beating after Buccaneers at Donnybrook. Old Wesley had already won the league with 2 matches to go and were awarded the trophy today at Donnybrook.

The result was 34-7; the outcome that was desired was to go undefeated this season in the League.  And with the Cup starting next weekend, this Old Wesley u20s team has shown its true metal given the amount of season ending injuries and walking wounded that we have accumulated in the past number of weeks and months.

We finished the match with a pack that was made up of 5 front row players, 2 outside backs and one 2nd row in a make shift scrum, given injuries to David Motyer and Stephen Keane during the game.  5 Tries and sheer determination is what saw this team close out the season in the manner that it has, and full credit to all of the entire squad who have really gelled and have kept working on improving their skills throughout the season.  Full credit also to the coaching, physio and backroom team for their efforts in supporting this group of players throughout the season.

The opening try came just after 3 minutes with Capt. Shane O’Hanrahan going over for a try in the far right hand corner, but without the conversion in a swirling wind the score remained 5-0.  Cameron Watson was able to slot over a penalty after 18 minutes and move the score to 8-0 to the home team.  Dave Young scored the 1st of his 2 tries of the afternoon after 30 minutes and Watson added the conversion and the score moved to 15-0, where it remained until half time.

Young’s second try of the day came following a great solo run from outside the Buccs 22 and saw him power over to touch down beside the posts. With Watson adding the afters the score was 22-0, with 10 minutes of the half played.

The game was a start stop affair with lots of handling errors by both teams and quite a few stoppages for injuries, including to the Referee who was inadvertently struck in the shoulder by a clearance kick from 2nd Row Fergus Noonan, whom levelled the official from 5 meters and full force. When play resumed Wesley advanced toward the Buccs line and Sam Kenny blasted through for a try to secure the bonus point and the score moved to 27-0.  Both teams were slightly unlucky to pick up yellow cards during the 2nd half as the game was played with great spirit by both teams. Old Wesley rounded off their scoring with a try from Fergus Noonan, who capped off an eventful afternoon grabbing his first try of the season, a yellow card and flattening the ref with a clearance kick all in the space of 20 minutes.  With Watson successful with the conversion the score advanced to 34-0.

Buccs did manage to score a consolation try at the end of the game to leave the final score 34-7.  The 14 match unbeaten season and Prem 2 champions then set about to enjoy the celebrations long into the night.  It has been a great season for the team and the club overall with 4 trophies all being celebrated in the clubhouse this weekend alone. The Purcell Cup starts next Sunday with Old Wesley home to Old Belvedere; we’re hoping that the injury list can be reduced by next weekend to give this team a chance at a strong Cup run.

Click her for match photos by Deryck Vincent

Click here for after match photos by Deryck Vincent

Don’t miss your club newsletter!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.