Wesley clear winners in Metro 6 Final

Metro League Division 6 final  –  Old Wesley 41 Naas 6

After a slow start Old Wesley came out clear winners against Naas in the Metro League Division 6.  Naas led 6 nil after ten minutes but once Old Wesley got in for their first try after 15 minutes they never looked back going on to score seven tries without answer. The win also means Old Wesley are promoted to Metro Division 5 for next season.  See report below from player reporter Andrew Handcock.

Season Reaches Boyle-ing point as Wesley turn up the heat in the penultimate game

Old Wesley embarked on the penultimate chapter in a long season last Saturday, as they ran out for the League final against a Naas side seeking revenge for two defeats in the league campaign. Old crowd favourite Gresh dispensed the jerseys and offered some final words of encouragement followed by a rousing Peter Wallace speech.  Wesley then set out onto the hallowed Donnybrook turf, turf ? with an air of confidence and a spring in our step.

The early showers gave way to sunshine, the crowd gathered baying for blood, the stage was set and teams were ready (except there wasn’t an official in sight).  Anyway, Wesley were provided the perfect attacking platform, as the kick off went out on the full.  Unfortunately they could not capitalise and Naas quickly began to exert themselves as they started the brighter, successively converting two long range penalties as they punished Wesley’s indiscipline. 6-0 Naas. After a period of sustained pressure in the Naas 22, Wesley were awarded two penalties in quick succession duly missed by Handcock.  The crowd wondered if it was to be one of those days. The great man looked shaken.

Wesley regrouped and tore into Naas; both teams were going for the jugular.  Fortunately Wesley managed to work their way into a great position, with some sumptuous back play setting Chris Coghlan away, who caught the eye with a stylish off-load. Wesley were then awarded a penalty allowing them to venture deeper into the Naas 22.   From the resulting line-out Phil Power (aka The Powerhouse) hurled the ball in like a scud missile, and the “Panasonic ball” somehow found its way to Andrew Boyle who crashed over in the corner. Pandemonium set in amongst the crowd whilst Handcock found his kicking boots with the conversion.  7-6 to Wesley.  Some great hands down the right, resulted in a series of strong carries from Dave “You’ve got to get your first tackle in early, even if it’s late“ Taylor and his second row destroyer Joe Wheatley. These guys are tall timber and there are many teams who’d love to have them in their side. Anyway, this led to Sam Moore burrowing over from the back of a ruck like a demented mole to increase the lead with Handcock again successful with the conversion. HT Score 14-6 Wesley

Wesley began the second half stronger and began to play with a freedom that Naas simply couldn’t live with. Wesley’s backs were purring with possession with Stevie Young dictating play as the forwards put their bodies on the line. It was then turn of Michael Glynn to dot down with a lovely little show and go, he sailed through the gap.  Conversion missed. Naas then began to lay siege to the Wesley try line; stoic defence from the bearded eco warrior David Flower preventing a certain try. Wesley eventually won a penalty enabling them to release the pressure. Deep in Naas territory the graceful Toal Lennon began releasing the outside backs, surprising everybody popping up as a decoy for a Glynner crash – that almost made it over the gain line.  However, any thoughts of a Naas comeback were shattered almost instantly with two quick-fire Wesley tries, from Handcock using his momentum to propel him over the line from range and another close range effort from Phil Power making it a full house for the Wesley front row. This sent the heavily inebriated crowd into a mass hysteria. 36- 6 Wesley In the dying embers of the game with good rumbling up the paddock from the forwards, quick ball was released to Claxton who somehow found himself on the wing. His first try in three years, and the final nail in the coffin as he celebrated under the posts, to leave both sets of supporters shell shocked. 41-6 Full time.

Old Wesley Metro 6 League Champions 2015/16. 

This team has one more match left when they bid to do the double and play Terenure next Saturday in the Winters Cup Final. Hope to see you all there again.

Photos: –

Don’t miss your club newsletter!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.