Wesley win final match on South Africa Tour

Wesley win final match on South Africa Tour

South Africa Tour Mouth  –  NTK Cape Town 21 Old Wesley 40

After a physical mid-week battle against Stellenbosch University side Maties, the 1st XV found themselves back in Cape Town after 4 days of travelling and activities including visiting the Cape of Good Hope and a night’s stay at the amazing Garden Route Lodge Game Drive.

The opposition this time would be NTK a club located on the outskirts of Cape Town.

The coaching staff had decided to give opportunities to players who had limited game time in the previous match, and to rest those who carried knocks. This presented Wesley with a young, talented, and more than capable side.

Wesley started slow with NTK striking first to go 7-0 ahead. However, Sam Pim responded almost instantly with a quick tap and go penalty following a marauding break from prop Sam Kenny, bringing us back into the game at 7-5.

Wesley started to go up the gears with Sam Pim being a threat in both defence and attack. Josh Miller’s influence was growing bigger in the game as he picked out Sam Kenny again to break through the NTK defence leading Marcus McManemy to then weave through to score. Eoin Quinn kicked the conversion and Wesley looked more comfortable at 7-12. Marcus then found himself through again and once again grounded the ball; Quinner adding extras again to make it 7-19. Half time.

Following half time, subs were made as Callum ‘Big Man’ Kavanagh and Diarmuid Scannell came off for Andrew Irwin and Ewan Watson. Sam Pim dotted down once again from close range and Quinner put it over the black spot to make it 7-26. Wesley really began to turn the screw as David Motyer, Andrew Vincent and Niall Finn began to make inroads at the NTK defence. Hooker Finn Tierney then scored from the back of a rolling maul to see Wesley go even further ahead.

The coaching staff decided to roll the changes even more as former club captain Paul Harte came on for Andrew Vincent and Andrew Egan replaced Sam Pim in what meant mixing up the positions of other personnel. Wesley conceded soon after as the team tried to resettle making it 14-33.  Josh Miller was replaced by Eoin Monahan, captain for the match Nathan Randles was subbed off for Leo Wyer.  Cronan Gleeson and Daniel O’Connor came on for Josh O’Hare and Rob Loftus, making it a grand total of 6 front rowers on the pitch at one time.

Wesley pushed themselves further ahead as Andrew Egan crashed over from 5 meters following a clever line-out play from David Motyer. Eoin Quinn again added the extras to make it 14-40. Credit to the home side who once again pinned Wesley back and went over for a final try. Final score 21-40.

Following the game, gifts were exchanged between the two sides. We would like to thank NTK again for their incredible hospitality.

This marked the end of the tour to South Africa, an incredible experience for management, players, and alicadoos alike.  Robbie Love in his final speech in NTK spoke about the incredible work put in by Dave Jermyn to create such an action packed, incredible and memorable tour and how these trips are incredible vehicles for creating bonds, friendships, and memories within squads. We all hope that this can be the driving factor as the squad continues to push for promotion in the coming season. Until then, it is time to rest up and enjoy the summer break!


Don’t miss your club newsletter!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.